Online Daphnia Toximeter
The Daphnia Toximeter continuously records and analyses the movement of daphnia (commonly known as 'water fleas') in the instrument chamber where they are under the influence of “source” or “test” water.
Sample water (0.5 - 2 l/h) continuously runs through the measuring chamber containing the daphnia. The live images captured using a CCD-camera are evaluated online with an integrated PC to analyse changes in the behaviour of the daphnia. If the change is statistically significant, an alarm is triggered.
This method of image analysis enables a series of measurement methods and plausibility tests to assess the daphnia's behaviour using different criteria.
The instrument's toxicity computation is based upon the statistical deviation of the various measured Daphnia behavioral parameters from the (user-defined) norm. This unique instrument has no counterpart in the world.
How it works
Criteria used:Speed measurements:
- average speed
- speed distribution
- swimming altitude
- measure for turns and circling movements,
- swimming angle
- size determination of daphnia
bbe Toximeters provide a highly sensitive biological system for early detection of potentially dangerous unknown substances, in a wide variety of circumstances. These instruments are ideal for detecting water quality contamination in real-time to protect both plant and animal life. The Toximeters provide a means to detect (and alert users to) potentially dangerous circumstances. Based on the alert, the user may then take appropriate measures including further chemical analysis, water source diversion, process suspension or further treatment. Expensive chemical analysis can be targeted to key toxic events with potentially significant cost savings. Some examples of applications for Toximeters include:
- environmental monitoring, including ports, lakes, reservoirs and dams
- source/ground water monitoring, supply monitoring and intake monitoring
- surface water monitoring including rivers and lakes, measuring stations and early warning systems
- pre-treatment assessment
- post-treatment quality control
- High-resolution 15" touch-screen
- Integrated sample treatment
- Redesigned chamber eliminates air bubbles
- Prepared algae feed syringe eliminates need for algae culture
- Air-cooled peltier element
- Easy-to-use (and fewer) tube connections
- User levels (beginner to expert)
- Database storage of measurements
- Reliable fast analysis
- Enhanced resolution of daphnia motion
- Storage cabinet
- Splash-proof USB flexi-keyboard
- Connections for LAN, USB, relays and 4-20mA